Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sidetrack: Durian



I know I have been keeping this in chronological order (although usually inconsistent and untimely), I feel compelled to write about this right now. What human thought it would be a good idea to break open the spiky shell that resembles a mace or some other medieval torture device, power through the rotten egg smell, and muster up the strength to eat the pulpy, custardy innards of a durian fruit is beyond my knowledge. But today at work we were selling the stuff and I, being an adventurous eater and food connoisseur in training, had to buy it. Durian is an Indonesian "delicacy" which as I said looks like a mace, smells like death, and tastes like a mix between mangoes and sulfur. The best word I can use to describe the fruit is raunchy. The fruit usually falls in the realm of "I love this stuff!" or "I absolutely will never consider eating that again - ever!" But for me I'm not so sure where it fell, but it was definitely closer to the ladder response. Once you crack the unusual shell, the smell becomes even stronger, I just stepped out of the shower, only to notice that my room has a sulfery funk to it and I didnt even bring the stuff into my room. The fruit itself, which resembles scrambled eggs, has a mildly sweet taste at first then abruptly leaves you with a gasoline-ish after taste. I wouldn't go as far as to say steer clear all together, because supposedly some people find it to be truly amazing and you never know how your taste buds will respond, and if it still tastes like crap at least you have a funny story.

No comments:

Post a Comment